How to Help New Mothers Heal During a PandemicMar 26, 2021
If you want to support an expectant or new mom in her healing journey, MamaCore is a great site to refer her to. There she will find classes and resources for her mind, body, and soul. And if you are looking to support a new mom during the pandemic, you may need some additional ideas. After all, becoming a mom is stressful enough without a global crisis. With this in mind, here are a few ways you can show your loved one you really care:
Send Practical Hospital Bag Gifts
The last few weeks of pregnancy are a whirlwind. Your expectant friend may forget to pack a few essentials in her hospital bag but you can come to the rescue with these must-haves:
- A soft and comfy nightgown that will make those first feedings so much easier.
- Some self-care products, like perineal spray. Trust us she will love you for this!
- A charger that fits her phone for all of those selfies — or better yet, a wireless one.
- Snacks that provide energy or just comfort because giving birth is hard work.
- Here’s a pandemic-appropriate one: a cute mask to wear for the trip home.
Find Alternatives to In-Person Visits
After your friend has given birth, it’s only natural to want to visit with her and the new little one. Keep in mind that this is a stressful time for new parents. It may be more appropriate to provide your support in other ways, including the following:
- Drop-off meals or takeout to keep parents fed because they won’t have time to cook.
- See if your friends are up for a Zoom call so you can ooh and ahh over the new baby.
- Understand if your loved one is too tired or stressed. This is normal for new parents.
- Ask well ahead of time if you would like to set up a socially-distanced visit.
- If your friend says “no,” respect that. Respect any boundaries new parents set.
Give Gifts She’ll Actually Use at Home
If you missed out on the chance to send a hospital gift, you still have options. There are a few items your friend may not have that would make life as a new mom easier, including:
- Nipple cream or a pair of cozy lounge pants — either will make for thoughtful gifts.
- If she doesn’t already have one, buy her a top-rated nursing pillow for feedings.
- A white noise machine to help her new baby sleep. It may help her sleep too!
- It may be a bit more pricey but an instant pot could also be a real lifesaver.
- Any other gift that helps with breastfeeding. This can be a struggle for new moms.
Life as a new mom is full of surprises. It can also be filled with stress and worry, especially when there is a global pandemic limiting access to resources and help. By showing up for your friend, you can provide the extra support she needs right now. Even the smallest gestures help!
MamaCore provides the healthy movement and resources every new mom needs to heal postpartum and nourish her body, mind, and soul. Ring in the new year with an online class!
Photo Credit: Pexels
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.